The global health and beauty industry has grown exponentially in recent years. Online sales have accounted for a significant portion of this growth. In 2020, the industry’s value was estimated at $380 billion, and according to a report by Allied Market Research, the global cosmetics industry is forecasted to reach $463.5 billion by 2027.
It’s essential to understand the regulations and best practices for shipping health and beauty products. Here is a guide, to help you ship your health and beauty products based on the regulations required:
- Review Regulations and Restrictions: Be sure to consult the FDA’s regulations, who is responsible for ensuring the safety of cosmetics sold in the United States, in terms of labeling, safety and packaging. This includes the documentation you may need in all the process from the manufacturing to the delivery.
- Restrictions in certain ingredients: Some ingredients commonly found in health and beauty products, such as alcohol and aerosols, are considered hazardous and restricted for air transportation. Check with your carrier to determine which ingredients are restricted.
- International regulations: When shipping internationally, there are additional regulations to consider, such as customs requirements and product labeling. It’s important to research the regulations in the destination country before shipping. Having an ally for customs brokerage will help you to make certain you are compliant.
- Temperature control: Some health and beauty products require temperature control during shipping to maintain their quality and effectiveness. This is particularly true for products that contain natural or organic ingredients. Be sure to check the temperature requirements for your products and choose a transporter that can accommodate them.
- Labeling: The information that must be provided on the label of a cosmetic or health product includes the name and location of the company responsible for producing, packing, or distributing the product, as well as the exact amount of the contents. Additionally, any necessary precautionary statements that aim to safeguard the consumer from harm should also be included on the label.
Best Practices for Shipping Health and Beauty Products
In addition to understanding the regulations and restrictions involved in shipping health and beauty products, there are some best practices you should follow to ensure your products arrive safely and in good condition. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
Choose the right packaging: Health and beauty products should be packaged in resistant containers to prevent damage during shipping. Consider add package fillers, using bubble wrap or other protective materials. Also decide what will be the best container for your type of product, you can choose from a wide variety of materials:
- Plastic containers: Are a practical and flexible solution that can be used at an affordable cost.
- Glass containers: Health and wellness products, such as supplements and essential oils, are often packaged in glass containers due to their popularity.
- Boxes: Provide ample protection and can be tailored to suit a variety of products. Some boxes may have added features, such as handles or dividers, to increase their usability.
- Pouches: It is a cost-effective way to ship health and wellness products, including powders and supplements. They are also user-friendly, as they are easy to open and close.
Select a warehouse for your needs: To store products, it is essential to consider the ability of the warehouse to handle the varying needs of the business. These needs may be affected by holidays, seasons, and the shelf life of products. If you decide to collaborate with a third-party logistics (3PL) provider to manage the fulfillment of your health and beauty products, it is important to ensure that the logistics provider has relevant industry experience.
Consider temperature control: As mentioned earlier, some health and beauty products require temperature control during shipping. Choose a warehouse that is climate-controlled. Consider using insulated packaging or cold packs to maintain the temperature of these products during transit.
Choose a reliable freight forwarding: When shipping health and beauty products, it’s essential to choose a carrier that has experience handling these types of products. Look for carriers that have specialized equipment and trained staff to handle hazardous materials.
Provide tracking information: Provide customers with tracking information so they can monitor the progress of their shipment. This will help them anticipate delivery and ensure someone is available to receive the package.
To sum up, by following best practices you can ensure that your products arrive safely and in good condition. These best practices include choosing the right packaging, selecting a suitable warehouse, and partnering with a reliable freight forwarding service.
GLC has extensive experience in warehouse and transport. If you need one of our freight forwarding services, you can fill out the form below. We will contact you shortly.